As a caring parent, you know that good dental care and oral hygiene are vital in helping your kids enjoy their smile for a lifetime.
But you also know that children sometimes rebel against dental care and oral health.
Something as simple as getting kids to brush and floss can feel like pulling teeth (and we like to avoid pulling teeth!).
Fortunately, kids have playful, exploratory, and family natures that you can use to encourage good oral hygiene.
From flashing foamy toothpaste grins to timing brushing with songs or timers, Prevent Dental Suite has a list of strategies to add camaraderie and fun that will reinforce the importance of your kid’s dental hygiene routine.
And even better news; parents or caretakers of qualifying children can take advantage of the Child Dental Benefits Schedule to help support the dental care of their children!
Here are a few of our strategies to make oral hygiene fun for kids!
- Keep track of time. Dentists recommend brushing for two minutes, twice a day. How do you know if your child is brushing for long enough? Use a two-minute sand timer. Let your child flip over their brightly coloured timer and then start brushing.
- Reduce sugar intake. Sugar sometimes seems like a natural part of childhood, but it’s awful for teeth, especially in children with a softer set of baby teeth that are liable to decay and cavities. It may be unreasonable to expect to avoid sugar consumption altogether, but you should reduce children’s sugar intake by not allowing them to have candy or soda regularly.
- Make it a family affair. One way to amp your kids up about brushing and flossing is to join them. Kids love to mimic their parents, so if you demonstrate that you enjoy brushing your teeth, your children likely will as well. Show your child how you brush and floss then help them with the same technique. You can even make up a silly or fun song to keep their interest up or create cute and funny smiles with toothpaste and floss.
- Let kids choose their toothpaste and toothbrush. Kids sometimes feel like they are being told what to do– what to eat, what to wear, where to go, even what toys they should play with. This means it is a special occasion for kids when they get to choose something for themselves. Letting your child pick their toothbrush and toothpaste gives them control over their oral hygiene, allows them to act older and responsible, and helps engage them.
- Use the power of imagination. Encourage your child to use their imagination during toothbrushing and flossing. Create a story about defeating the “cavity boogiemen” that live between your child’s teeth, or a story about how your child is a superhero who can brush and floss away the bad guys that cause tooth decay.
- Have a toothbrush dance party. With little teeth come little attention spans. Even if a timer is being used, it can be difficult for a child to stand still while they brush their teeth. Fight boredom and add some fun to your child’s oral hygiene routine with music. Choose a couple of songs you child likes that will become your traditional brushing songs and only play them when your child brushes and flosses – this will help build a routine.
Child Dental Benefits Schedule and Prevent Dental Suite
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule is a government-supported program which provides benefits to cover essential dental services over two years for Australian children between 2 and 17 years of age.
Key Features of the Program
- CDBS applies to children aged two to 17 years old.
- CDBS provides funds for essential dental services including treatment and prevention (e.g. cleanings, fillings, and extractions)
- Benefit entitlement tops out at $1,000 per eligible child over a two year period.
- Benefits can be used in the public or private system.
- Benefits are available from the beginning of each two year period.
- If funds are depleted in the first year, access to another $1,000 benefits will not occur until the new cycle.
To be eligible, a child must be between two and seventeen, qualify for Medicare, and must be a part of a family who receives an applicable government payment.
For information on eligibility and other details of the program, check out CDBS at Prevent Dental Suite.
High-quality Dental Care at Prevent Dental Suite
Prevent Dental Suite is a highly-trained team of experienced dental professionals providing patient-centred and gentle care.
We offer the highest-quality dental service, and our commitment to our patients begins the moment patients enter our doors.
Dr Shilpa Gupta, the resident dentist at our Kallangur clinic, combines many years’ experience with personable service. To learn more about our fantastic team, go to our team page.
Parking is easy and free. Parking is located behind the building – accessed via Storey Road.
Child Dental Benefit Schedule
Bulk Bill for children who are eligible for MEDICARE CHILD DENTAL BENEFIT SCHEDULE
Up to $1,000 worth of dental treatments over two years
We are located at 9/1376 Anzac Ave in Kallangur.