The holiday season is perhaps the most difficult season to stick to good dental habits. We are surrounded by rich and sugary foods, and with all the events of the season it is easy to lose track of our own health and that of our families.
All the goodies we eat, the events we go to, and the celebrations we enjoy, can lead us to neglect and harm our dental health. Fortunately, Prevent Dental Suite has partnered with dental experts from the North Pole to come up with tips for maintaining your dental health during the holidays.
We’ve put together 4 ways to make an advent calendar dental-healthy, and also collected 8 bonus tips to make your holiday season a healthy and happy one for you, your loved ones, and their teeth!
Working together we can make this holiday festive, fun, and full of shining smiles!
A Healthy Advent Calendar
Don’t use candy for your advent calendar, instead, match and mix the following:
- A Puzzling Diversion – Present your child with the challenge of a customized puzzle. Draw a picture or write a special message on a blank puzzle. Break the pieces apart and place one puzzle piece in each day of your advent calendar.
- Sugar-Free Goodies – Find simple trinkets to fill each day on your calendar instead of candy. Try your local dollar store for inexpensive goodies.
- Story-A-Day – Everyone loves a good story. Choose a holiday-themed children’s book for every day of your countdown. Open a new book each night and read it together
- Activity Fun – For each day of the month come up with an activity that you can do as a family. Write down the activity on a slip of paper and tuck one note into each day of your advent calendar. You might also consider “gift-certificates” for future favours or chores.
Keeping Your Smile Through The Holidays
- Chew sugarless gum.The act of chewing gum increases salivary flow in the mouth; if chewed after eating, the increased salivary flow can help neutralize and wash away the acids that are produced when food is broken down by the bacteria in plaque on teeth.
- Set a Time Limit. It’s really tempting to graze during the Christmas season, but this increases the risk of tooth decay. Instead, set up specific times of the day to set out food. It’s important that there is a definite beginning and ending to these times. This will help keep everyone from constantly reaching for food that’s high in sugar and fat, and will keep bacteria producing sugars out of your mouth.
- Practice Moderation. Christmas treats are great, but don’t forget to “indulge” in foods that will help absorb all of that sugar. Fill your plate with healthy veggies and some protein, then enjoy the Christmas season!
- Watch the wine. As delicious as it can be, red wine can stain your teeth. If you drink red wine, drink it with food to decrease how much of it sticks to your teeth. Be sure to brush well after you indulge in reds. And pay attention to our next tip, which can help!
- Chow down on cheese– Choose cheese to snack with if you’re drinking alcoholic drinks at parties. The pH balancing effects help neutralize the acid that’s in boozy beverages and the calcium is great for your tooth health as well.
- Maintain a regular brushing and flossing routine. Don’t let the hustle and bustle of the holidays break your dental care habits. Make sure to stick to your regular regimen of brushing twice a day and flossing once. Try to brush in between snacks if possible. One way you can do this is by keeping a travel-size toothbrush with you and fighting cavities with xylitolgum and by paying attention to our next tip!
- Drink water. You need a lot of energy for holiday activities, but avoid drinking sodas, sports drinks and sugary juices. Instead, drink water with fluoride in it to keep your teeth strong and healthy, and bacteria off your teeth.
- Visit us at Prevent Dental Suite –Dental cleanings are a key part of your oral health. The Christmas holiday can be very damaging to a smile, so it’s important you give your teeth and gums the best chance of survival by getting a professional dental cleaning.
High-Quality Dental Care At Prevent Dental Suite In Kallangur
Prevent Dental Suite is comprised of dedicated dental professionals who provide gentle and patient-oriented care to offer the best-quality dental service from the moment patients come into our office. Dr. Shilpa Gupta is the resident dentist at our Kallangur dental practice, and combines many years’ experience with personable service. To learn more about our amazing team, go to our team page.
Parking is easy and it’s free. Parking is located at the rear of the building – access via Storey Road.
Follow the tips to have picture-perfect pearls during your family pictures and don’t forget to visit your dentist in Kallangur at Prevent Dental Suite.