Prevent Dental Suite is happy to partner with the Australian Dental Association’s (ADA) upcoming Dental Health Week.
Dental Health Week (6 to 12 August) is an annual oral health promotion event, and this year its slogan is “Watch your Mouth”.
Its aim is to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four central goals for Australians to focus on.
The ADA’s four goals are simple and achievable, and they are ones that Prevent Dental Suite also focuses on:
- Brush teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste
- Clean in-between teeth once a day (with floss or interdental brushes)
- Regularly visit the dentist for check-ups and preventive treatment.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
Let’s zoom in on each of these points.
Brush with fluoride toothpaste
The ADA suggestions for brushing are simple:
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes, twice a day.
- Soft-bristled toothbrushes with a small head and a flexible neck are most effective in removing plaque and debris from your teeth, without damaging your teeth and gums.
- Clean your teeth systematically, holding the toothbrush at the gumline at a 45-degree angle.
- Don’t apply to much pressure as it can damage gums and tooth enamel.
- As strange as it sounds, brush your tongue. It reduces the bacteria in your mouth and helps your breath stay fresh.
- When you have finished brushing, try to spit out the toothpaste but don’t rinse with water. Leaving some toothpaste on your teeth gives your teeth some extra ongoing protection.
- Choose a toothpaste containing fluoride and replace your toothbrush four times a year.
If brushing is difficult for you, an electric toothbrush may be a better option since it does most of the work for you.
Clean in-between teeth
Because nearly half the surface area of your teeth lies between your teeth, flossing should be an essential part of your oral care routine and not an optional extra. Here’s how to do it properly, according to the ADA:
- Wind approximately 45 cm of floss around your middle fingers and grip it tightly between your thumbs and index fingers.
- Keeping the thumb and index close together, gently guide the floss between the teeth, taking care not to cut or damage your gums with too-sudden movement. You should use a side-to-side motion to ensure the sides of both teeth are cleaned equally.
- To clean the tooth where it meets the gums, curl the floss and insert it gently under the gum.
If you find this technique too difficult, consider using a floss threader (a nylon loop through which you thread the floss) or floss pick (the floss is held taut between two prongs on a handle) to do the job. Other options include oral irrigators, interdental tips, and interdental cleaners.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask us at Prevent Dental Suite!
Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
This sounds like advice a mother might give, but a healthy diet and limited sugar are hygiene better for more than just your figure. The ADA suggestions are simple and relatively easily achieved.
- Limit your consumption of sugar, which is the single biggest cause of tooth decay.
- Fluoridated tap water is best.
- Read the ingredients panel on food products as many have hidden sugars.
- Choose teeth friendly foods such as cheese, nuts and vegetables.
- Avoid snacking and grazing.
Learn more about sugar and your oral health here
- 6 Effective Ways to End Your Sugar Cravings
- Sugar and Oral Health: Sugar Consumption in Australia
- The Bitter Truth about Sugary Drinks
Visit Your Prevent Dental Suite dentist on a regular schedule
Regular dental check-ups are essential to maintaining good oral health, because dentists can spot problems that you might not see or feel, such as early signs of tooth decay and gum disease. They can even identify jaw disease and detect oral cancers while they are still most curable.
Leading by example, Prevent Dental Suite offers the following Dental Health Week promotions to help you “watch your mouth”!
- zipMoney Mediplan. zipMoney allows you to spread the cost of your treatment with flexible interest-free payments on your own terms. *
- Child dental benefit schedule. Bulk Bill for children who are eligible for the Medicare Child Dental Benefit Schedule. Up to $1,013 worth of dental treatments over two years. *
- Single tooth dental implants at affordable price – Implant, Fixtures and Crown for only $2999.
*Terms and conditions apply
High-quality Dental Care at Prevent Dental Suite
Prevent Dental Suite is comprised of dedicated dental professionals who provide gentle and patient-oriented care to offer the best-quality dental service from the moment patients enter into our office.
Dr. Shilpa Gupta is the resident dentist at our Kallangur dental practice, and combines many years’ experience with personable service.
Parking is easy and free. Parking is located at the rear of the building – access via Storey Road.
Call : (07) 3886 2428 or visit us at 9/1376 Anzac Ave in Kallangur.