Dental restorations such as tooth fillings, crowns and inlays/onlays are used to restore your teeth and protect them from further damage. On the other hand, they can also fall out for various reasons.
In some cases, dental fillings may come loose because of a decay that has developed underneath it. The decay can result in some changes in the shape of the tooth, causing the filling to fit incorrectly on the tooth. Aside from decay, crowns and inlays may also come loose due to tooth cracks or bad habits such as eating too many chewy foods.
Dental First Aid for Lost Filling, Crown or Inlay/Onlay
Losing a filling or crown is rarely an emergency, the scenario can still be painful as the exposed tooth tissue is sensitive to pressure and hot or cold fluids or air. In case you lose a crown, store it in a safe place and go see your dentist immediately. Before you see a dental professional, here’s what you can do for lost dental restorations:
- Using a cotton swab put a few drops of clove oil on the sensitive area. Clove oil helps relieve the pain and can be easily purchased in pharmacies.
- If you were able to recover the crown, you can slip it back over the tooth. Before you can do that, take the following steps:
* Clean the inside of the crown
* Use a tooth cement to coat the inside of the crown
* If there’s no tooth cement available, use the denture adhesive or petroleum jelly
* Avoid using household glues as they are not safe for your mouth and can damage your tooth and restoration.
- For any lost filling, crown, inlay or onlay, you can apply dental cement directly on the tooth surface. Dental cement protects and seals the area until you can reach the dental clinic.
What Your Emergency Dentist in Kallangur can do for Lost Restorations
Repairing an old filling is often possible rather than removing and replacing it totally. On the other hand, if the entire filling needs to be changed, your Kallangur dentist may re-examine the type of filling to be applied. You can discuss with your dentist on how you would like your filling to appear, which allows you to choose the material that suits your need and lifestyle.
If your crown or inlay/onlay has come off, seeing a dentist is the most important step you can do. Your Kallangur dentist can permanently bond the damaged restorations back to its original tooth structure. Before re-cementing the crown or inlay, the area will be disinfected properly to prevent the possibility of any further infection.
Lost Filling, Crown or Inlay/Onlay in Kallangur
If you’re suffering from acute pain and require immediate treatment, call our Kallangur clinic for an emergency appointment. Don’t put off seeing the dentist if you are facing even a mild toothache. If untreated, the condition will escalate and may cause further nerve damage, abscesses, and spreading of the infection into the body.