Dental Health Week is almost here!
Dental Health Week, an annual oral health campaign, aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing the teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Cleaning between your teeth once daily with floss or interdental brushes.
- Maintaining a teeth-friendly and balanced diet and regulating sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive dental care.
This year, we focus on giving information about the harmful effects sugar does on one’s oral health, aiming to help Australians ‘get sugar savvy’.
This information includes:
- The prescribed daily sugar consumption levels.
- Advice on checking our food’s labels.
- Sugar effects on our teeth.
3 Main Sugar Messages
This information is supported by 3 main sugar messages:
- Avoid consuming foods and beverages with added sugars.
- Opt for foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Look out for hidden sugars when buying foods and drinks.
These important messages will be reinforced through the tagline: ‘How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?’, which draws on the concept of hidden sugars and checking food labels to make healthy choices.
Refusing to buy an unhealthy item in the supermarket means you don’t have to continue saying ‘no’ at home.
Reality check! Many Australians’ oral health is not near where it should be.
Check out the “sweet” statistics below:
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have had a dental check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once a day.
- Nearly 40% of Australians never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people are consuming too much sugar.
- 47% of adults are consuming too much sugar.
A dental consultation with your trusted Kallangur dentist is great for one-on-one advice where your concerns are addressed.
High-Quality Dental Care in Kallangur
Prevent Dental Suite is a group of dedicated dental professionals providing gentle and patient-oriented care to offer the best-quality dental service from the moment patients enter our office.
Dr Shilpa Gupta is the resident dentist at our Kallangur clinic’s resident dentist, combining years’ experience with personable service, dedicating long hours to the practice and continually strives to improve it in every possible way.
Dr Shilpa’s interests are in Invisalign, cosmetic dentistry and cutting-edge technology like The Wand (Pain-free injection). She is currently studying Dental Sleep Medicine to provide treatment for patients with Sleep Apnoea.
To discover more about our fantastic team, go to our team page.
Parking is easy and free. Parking is located at the rear of the building – access via Storey Road.
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Kallangur
Call us on (07) 3886 2428 or visit us at 9/1376 Anzac Ave in Kallangur.