What is an Overbite?
Overbites happen when the upper teeth protrude over the lower teeth. Oftentimes, an overbite can appear to be a problem with crooked teeth when, in fact, the person’s teeth and jaws are not lining up correctly.
Overbites are easier to correct in children and teenagers since their jaws are still developing.
A lot of people don’t realise that they have an overbite, as they believe their condition is not serious enough to seek dental attention. This could also be because other cases of overbites are so minor to be noticeable.
What Happens If I Don’t Treat It?
Untreated overbites may lead to the following dental problems:
- Bottom front teeth may harm the gums above the top front teeth
- Speech impediments
- May cause jaw problems
- Unattractive smile
Overbite Correction Treatments
For Children and Teenagers
- Removal of baby teeth to make room for permanent teeth to grow in straight
- Growth modification device – helps to position the jaw
- Braces – move the teeth to correct the overbite as well as the jaw
- Retainers – a device used after braces that help to keep the teeth in place
- Braces – move the teeth to fix an overbite
- Teeth extraction – dentists try to avoid this procedure but will do this in very severe cases to allow the teeth to move
- Surgery – jaw problems for bone-type overbites can only be corrected with surgery for adults
Benefits of Treating Overbites
- Straighter teeth and better bite
- More attractive smile & improved facial appearance
- Healthier teeth and gums
Overbite must be fixed as soon as possible. It’s never too late to correct your bite and your smile.
For any bite problems or malocclusions, don’t hesitate to see your dentist immediately.
To know more about the causes and effects of overbite to your oral health, visit your Kallangur dentist today here at Prevent Dental Suite.
Our top-notch orthodontics treatments offer high-quality solutions to various factors that affect your smile and the aesthetics of your teeth.
High-Quality Dental Care in Kallangur
Prevent Dental Suite is a group of dedicated dental professionals providing gentle and patient-oriented care to offer the best-quality dental service from the moment patients enter our office.
Dr Shilpa Gupta is the resident dentist at our Kallangur clinic’s resident dentist, combining years’ experience with personable service, dedicating long hours to the practice and continually strives to improve it in every possible way.
Dr Shilpa’s interests are in Invisalign, cosmetic dentistry and cutting-edge technology like The Wand (Pain-free injection). She is currently studying Dental Sleep Medicine to provide treatment for patients with Sleep Apnoea.
To discover more about our fantastic team, go to our team page.
Parking is easy and free. Parking is located at the rear of the building – access via Storey Road.
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Kallangur
Call us on +61 7 3886 2428 or visit us at 9/1376 Anzac Ave in Kallangur.